Saturday, October 9, 2010

Gratitude 101 The follow up post


I was sent something encouraging in regards to my last post and i had to read it several times because of course its right. In the end it doesnt matter if gratitude is shown by man what matters is of course where we understand our role lies in the bigger picture.
"""Render service with enthusiasm, as to the Lord and not to men and women, knowing that whatever good we do, we will receive the same again from the Lord, whether we are slaves or free." (Ephesians 6:7-8, NRSV)
Sometimes I've forgotten whom I really serve. When people are ungrateful, I want to tell them off and quit. But then God reminds me that he is the one who called me. That I am serving him first of all.
You and I serve God, not people -- really. We are mediators of God's love for them, and if, by God's grace, that love can flow through us in spite of our hurts, in spite of our buffeting, then we can continue to minister to them on behalf of God. But if Satan can shut off the love, he has neutralized us.
There are way too many insensitive, critical, ungrateful people. Maybe that's all they know of Christianity. By our example, we can begin to change that. Yes, we can! We can begin to establish a new pattern of thanks and support. Of caring and appreciation. We can set a pattern of love, by which outsiders can discern that we are indeed Jesus' disciples (John 13:35). It starts with me -- and you.
One passage of scripture sticks in my head and plays itself over and over. Let me share it with you, that it might repeat itself in your brain until it does its work:
"Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain" (1 Corinthians 15:58, RSV)."

Sigh. SO TRUE ! We have to remember we ultimately are not serving him or her or them, we are serving the Lord. And the higher calling we have needs to make us be bigger than what we feel when others don't appreciate what we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment